Friday, December 24, 2004

My New Goal

I met a man today.

He is a tuner by trade, a musician by interest. He played the piano beautifully and seem to love spreading the love for music. An honest man, i would like to believe. I stepped into Music Clef today, intending to find out more about buying pianos, what to look out for and stuff.

I stopped playing 2 years ago, hoping to pick it up now again.

His words etched deeply in my mind. He imparted knowledge about buying a piano, and no, he wasn't a salesman. Yet his words convinced my parents to put down a cheque of a deposit for a piano at the very first shop we stepped into.

I realised many things, sometimes everyone around you have the ability to change your lives. Stories revolves around every individual. Everyone is different. Even a tuner in a shop you chose to step into.

His story is one that moves me. Forced to learn piano by his parents, he too stopped at one point of time. Yet at another point of time, he picked it up, diligently playing 10 hours a day for 6 months. And unlike many Singaporeans, he doesn't have any qualifications. He did not pursued certificates, but it was evident that his skills could far surpass those who hold the sacred paper.

Meeting him today reminded me of something that once pushed me to touch the keyboard again. Sometime last year, i stepped into a music shop near Orchard, hoping to buy a book i could practice on. When i asked for a book of grade 6 standard, the man told me that sometimes people with qualifications to play grade 6 are too unable to play even a grade 2 score. We shouldn't follow the mainstream, practicing 3 pieces for an entire year just to enter the judgement room. You can't claim to be a great master when you could only play (3 X 8) pieces excellently. At least that's what i think.

I was moved to tears, literally when i heard him play the grand piano. So much came to me, how ashamed i was, unable to play it fluently. How fortunate I am, having parents who supported me in every way they could. It's not everyday your parents are able and willing to buy something like a Yamaha piano. So much till I am determined to play again, for my parents, for myself and for this man who loves music so much.

For me, i will and must take heed of the words that rang in my ears today. He told me to practice, to have the discipline. His words were said with passion, as if he sincerely like to see me play with confidence. I would, and i will. Determination, discipline and a focused goal.

No comments: