Wednesday, June 07, 2006

ambitions dreamt

within the past few days, i've
1. been to a inspiring photography seminar and met (again) the cute and amazing Geoff Ang!
2. went to camp and back, met friends so unlike those i currently have.
3. renewed my guiding light and became aware of the split personality i adopt in school and in camp.
3. met photographer Tay Kay Chin, who almost become like an fatherly figure,
4. worked for him in a upcoming Photography Exhibition at Basheer Gallery
5. had my name printed out in a hang up in the exhibition (Whoa!)
6. got the owner of Basheer to agree to employ me and dots the next time round
7. did a mini "visual merchandising" effort on the toys rack in Basheer w dots.
8. oooh. and got invited for tml's opening for Henri Cartier Bresson's works at the Art House!


so yesh, you've just stumbled into a long long blog entry on all my thoughts that flitted through and flow. i'll do you a favour by categorizing them so you can do selective reading alright?


Geoff Ang and Fashion Photography

He is a workaholic perfectionist whose urge to become the best in the field was driven by desperation. His belief of, if you should attempt to achieve something, might as well attempt more than limit yourself. (i.e do a whole movie instead of a short film). He achieved his well achieved recognition after being heavily involved in Editorial/Fashion before earning his keep in Advertising Photography. Starting out learning lighting through Product Shoot, his intensive strenous training proved successful. Self taught, the big man was humbleness personified, and a great inspiration to me.

In the seminar, he spoke about how should one choose to venture into Fashion Photography, he should " Live, Breathe and Eat Fashion." His inspiration comes from (interestingly) shopping, environment, people, travel, books, models, life, basically, being self absorbent about life. Geoff had a great dose of humour that held the audience captive, a sense of humbleness and an intriguing allure about him. His life story, his success route, some inner tips to making your photographs better and amazing, like REALLY AMAZING DI skills. Woah.

I had to tear myself out of the seat to leave the talk for camp. It had been, the most inspiring one I've ever been in years. It reminded me of a certain drive I use to hold, of self improvement in a subject I could hardly get education on. I felt ashamed, that perhaps it is my complacency that had made me disregard self learning, self experimenting and self taught knowledge for a very long time. Geoff continues to learn and improve, apart from fear of upcoming compeition, despite being one of the recognised in this field. He chose to reject jobs that are not tuned to his speciality, i.e interior, for he says he'd rather good at one than a jack of all trades, master of none.


Camp Challenge, a Guiding Renewal

I met interesting people who warmed up almost immediately. They are sisters binded by our common guides blood, lovely like minded people. While chatting on the last night, i realised most are like me. The mentality of how (gasp) tampons just don't feel right, of how they chided the girl who accidentally used the word "f***", of how....they remind me of a person so familiar. I wonder whether its a "guides" thing. Haha. Mostly from JCs and a bulk of them currently still in RJC, the feeling of discrimination is almost non existant. There were alot of respect going around.

While awaiting the results, i could help but tear. Reminded of the Camp Challenge i once attended in 2002, the spirit differs greatly. It brought back a little memories, along with a huge bulk of guilt for having neglected my own girls and guides from Damai. Of how, I have failed to pass on the knoweldge and experience I have 4 years ago, and how I completely hands off Damai Girl Guides. 3rd, 2nd position announced, I was relived for a second and was back to worried tears. For if we have not gotten 1st, my guilt would have amounted. So when the results, a championship were annouced, I cried like shit. Being the official photographer, crying "1,2,3" girls, in front of the whole camp personnel was embarrasing. I couldn't describe how I feel, but that I could have done so much more but i chose not to.

Indeed this camp has reminded me of something I forgotten. A love I once adore. What I know is that I'd prefer training guides over brownies, training on the ground than planning activities. This is really something I am going to look into, a priority I hope to develope and consider over the next few months. Too many commitments have been taken up, but i'd promise myself here, that i'll consider.


Tay Kay Chin and working in a photography field

Over the past 2 days, it have been a short introduction to setting up a exhibition. It wasn't just that, it was also the connections developed and the exposure given. Kay Chin have been a really nice, down to earth guy who constantly have to tell me and dorothy to relax and take things slow. I wasn't expecting to be paid, but its a nice surprise. Though its menial labour, like framing and setting things straight, it was spending time with Dorothy that made it so... pleasant. Working our trademark "little-details, only Perfect is accepted" style, i guess we complement. :)

So now, we have great plans in tow, with Kay Chin promising resources and big dreams dreamt. Hmm..

This holiday, have been pretty productive, though the last 2 weeks are gonna be reserved for Family and Me-time. In a way, I have made up my mind to follow my heart. Since I have already plunge into taking up Design as a career path, I will go ahead with a Photography Major, w a basic graphic design knowledge and advertising background.

To bring a concluding note to this uber long essay, I'd be away for a week to Australia. Future commitments made includes 1. participating in Canon DV Fest from the period of July-Oct. I am keeping my fingers crossed on 2. winning the apprenticeship from NoiseSingapore, which probably cost me June-July. 3. The project with Dorothy and Junhao, probably by the end of the year. 4. Hopefully, a CDI for a opportunity OSIP.

The feeling of being a victim of the block system makes one works harder for knowledge.

No comments: