For all that requested, and for those who bothers to read through, here is a long story of my weekend blast:
People have always been enamored by this dazzling city, the one that proclaims it never sleeps, the one with all the backdrops to all the famous movies you've seen. The sidewalk apartments with sweet puffy trees alining the pavements (aka The Devil Wears Prada opening), the train of yellow taxis swimming by the skyscapers, the flashy billboards with all the advertisements seducing one.
I funnily, don't think its that great.
I see the famous Times Square, and think Shibuya's vibrancy shone more. I see the littered sideways and worn out road marks, and appreciate the cleaniness and beauty of Tokyo. I walked past the constructions area and couldn't stop comparing the battered posters stapled to the zinc to the photographic printed zincs that lined the construction wall in Japan. I AM SO BIASED LAH.
Despite all its shortcomings, coming to Mahattan is the most awesome weekend spent in the States. Minutes after trampling on pavements that rainy wet Friday, some middle aged fellow tried to make conversation, how my red heels (insane choice on a rainy pouring cold day) matched my umbrella (which I kept using to shield my face from him) and if he could buy me lunch. (How come I don't get such experience in Singapore?!) I freaked out and luckily he walked away soon at the forthcoming corner.
Friday was lovely despite the rain. First stop was Parsons Fashion School (aka Project Runway location), which is kinda disappointing and totally bored the hell out of me. Which made it more obvious to me that I rather photograph fashion than make fashion. ( What sewing module/shoe designing! ) The building itself is small and cramped with tons of rooms in a dizzying maze on each level. But it definitely reek and is cramped with creatives, just people watching amuses me. There are the gorgeous yummy metrosexuals, the immaculately well dressed and slightly feminine males with girlfriends, the full-of-hand-gestured lecturer commanding the stage with a flirty touch, the japanese students dressed fashionably, the caucasians designers clad with black specs and cropped bob. Hmm.
Parsons is actually part of a group of school called The New School. I never guessed that, its much like TP. When going on tours, I made a point to enquire about the management and how well the school is being run after Student cultures/way class is run/ class size blah blah. According to my nice second tour guide, student from Architecture department (whom she describes as moderately anal people) it can get pretty disorganized due to its attention to so many other divisions. She chose Parsons because it was one that wasn't just computer oriented, and because School of Visual Arts (SVA) didn't have Architecture department. I must say she was really good in introducing the schools and bringing us to various areas. Photography department was a disappointing small level (there might be others) and well, again, that Japan's university won hands down.
Now here's the winner: SVA. Fawn (colleague of mine, lecturer at SVA) invited me for a class critique. A little light about SVA: An arts school distinguished from others by having a mostly adjunct staff, who according to Fawn, allows students to learn differently because staff are not lecturers, but full time professionals. And the photo department have a photo head who makes appointments with every individual student to review their works from time to time (so that he'll know their progress), it really wasn't all talk but not action, that guy came down during the critique session to meet a student from that class. SVA is run by a family, and that family is like the celebrities in a design world, attending events/gallery openings and everyone in the industry knows they run SVA like a business. Internships are not part of the essential curriculum, but offered to the creme of the crop and students can sometimes choose who they'll like to work with and SVA utilizes its connection. (The story about a student requesting to work with David Lachapelle and got it!) That, really blew me away.
Sitting in critique on Friday was the highlight. So much energy, concepts, stories supported all the photographs. (Wine was flowing, pizza delivery and a table adorned with food) As diverse as the student body, the genres spreaded from fashion/story telling/fine arts/digital manipulation. Woah. Though sitting in class has made me realised, that we're not so different after all, human race in general. There was a student obsessed with photographing in the night (which I elaborated and commented in sync with her intention), sounds familiar right? I absorbed so much in that 3 hours I sat in, listening to their stories, their progress , hearing comments about printings and photographic direction and watching the final images. (Are you jealous yet?) There was an indonesian german mature student whose work with just two models was "subtly dramatic", working with symbols/props/facial expression at THAT moment. There was so much about photography I never knew from the comments that was thrown around. Good flow of inspiration and learning. Pheeww.
That was just Friday, man! The weekend was spent mad shopping. And I really mean mad. That amount of money that was blasted, I could never earn back from my weekly allowance for the whole two months I'm here!
Forever21 was heavily discounted, Macy was having a fabulous sale (DKNY/RAMPAGE). And than I got myself to Woodbury Common, the whole entire area devoted to attracting tourists with branded goods up to 50% off. I went crazy with Banana Republic, Coach, DKNY Jeans, Levis. The weekend haul was (mine and including of the family's):
1. DKNY pair of shorts (50% discounted!)
2. Rampage LBD (cheap cheap, sweet, nice length!)
3. Forever21 flirty skirt with suspenders, Forever21 shorts, Forever21 tops and basics.
4. Coach Wallet (going at $39USD, originally $89!)
5. Banana Republic Teeshirt, Polo Tee, Boxers.
6. DKNY SKINNY LIL PRINCE ST BLACK JEANS! (OMG I LOVE THOSE JEANS!) Currently the latest arrivals in stores costing $59 bought at $29!
7. Levi's Jeans for the whole family. (Its so so so darn cheap, all those "irregulars".)
8. Coach Handbag for mommy dearest ($180+ in stores, cost me $98, woot!)
Can you see why I cannot be restrained?! But seriously, its about all the shopping I needed to get while I am here for my entire stay of two months. (So I can pack in that big space rather in the tiny hostel during my last week, and wear the clothes while I am still working for the last month! :D)
Sat's dinner was arranged with a japanese roommate I just met at the hostel. We camped outside Dallas BBQ on St Marks Place, an area teeming with people even in the late hours of darkness. The waiter is an institution, Tony is his name. People were just walking past the streets shouting his name, coming up to kiss him on his cheeks while he was in midst of duty. And he speaks with this loud fake accent, and serves your dishes with a "WALLLA WALLLA, HERE ISH YOUURRRR MAARGARETHHHAA" and when you call for your bill he goes "AREEE YOU LEAFFING ME OLREADDY?" and puts his hands on his waist staring and pouting at you. Gosh it was one amusing sneaky dinner (me sipping Margarita from Yuki's side because you need an ID and be above 21 to order, so foolishly I couldn't lie.) We ALMOST went clubbing, all the plans and arrangements, but that model from Sweden (our other roommate) pangseh us. And because we needed somebody who knows somebody in a club to let ME in with a tag, me and Yuki were stuck arriving back to the hostel to see an empty room (Sarah long gone.) Tsk Tsk. Anyway, dinner and knowing Yuki was fabulous. The icing's Yuki visits Singapore 5 times a year for business, so I'll definitely be seeing her again! :D Yuki reminds me of myself, that fiercely independent thirst for traveling and strong character, seriously.
Sunday. I couldn't get up to see that catheral, so I missed church again. And I even missed the last bus back to Woodstock, which I foolishly decided to take the next one to Kingston (nearest town from here, 1/2 hr away). All through the trip dripping of worries, of the black dark tunnels of roads with no street lights, thinking "Motel/Taxi". And eventually led to being cabbed home, costing a sorely regretful $25USD(Which is about $40 sing kay!) Aye.
For all that burnt bottomless debt I'm in, I am restraining myself to having packed lunches/plain water/and capped budget groceries for the next month!
Tuesday, May 01, 2007
NY, NY.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment